Five myths about creativity in business.
To some people creativity seems like a distant goal that takes divine intervention to achieve. They believe that without meditation, deep thought and hours of concentration that creativity just canâ€™t be reached. In reality this just isnâ€™t the case. Many people have creative momentâ€™s everyday just by using some simple techniques that anyone can do. Today we will take a look at five of the most common myths when it comes to creativity in business.
- Creativity is born – This is one of the biggest myths out there. Many people believe that to be creative you have to have some special trait that you are born with. The truth is anyone can be creative and being confident in oneâ€™s self is often the best way to tap into it.
- You have to be an expert – Many companies believe that only bright ideas can come from an expert in the field they are looking for answers in. This is simply wrong because some of the best ideas in companies come from all different kinds of workers. This is a very unwise way of thinking and could really end up hurting your business.
- Incentive breeds creativity – Some people will argue that creativity is increased by incentives offered by companies. But the fact is incentive programs only work for a while and good ideas should be freely exchanged without putting a monetary value on them.
- Creativity is a lone venture – Many people believe that good ideas come from individual people which can be true. But groups often produce more creative ideas as a unit than most people can on their own. So wise business leaders should take note that group efforts often turn out more innovative ideas.
- Every idea has to be original – Some business leaderâ€™s think every idea has to be fresh and original. There is nothing wrong with new ideas but often times a combination of old ideas renewed and reworked are just as good as a new one. This is a great way to look back on successful ideas and look at how you can put a fresh spin on them so they will continue to work for you.